This recipe makes a good hearty dinner, that is easy to make. It is so delicious, and the kids love it, too. My littlest one was at my feet asking for more after we had finished eating. That's always a good sign.
1/2 cup bell pepper, diced (use different colors for a more attractive dish)
1/2 onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup pinto beans, cooked
1 cup corn
1 cup vegan ground beef (optional, I used Gardein Groundless beef)
1/2 cup vegetable broth
salt to taste
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
3 tablespoons water
1/2 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk
1 tablespoon canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Feirenheit.
2. In a large pot sauce the onion and bell pepper with the olive oil on a medium-high heat for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, beans, corn, vegan beef, and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat to low and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.
4.Place in a large baking dish (usually 9 X 13).
5.In a separate bowl add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt, and stir together.
6.In a separate bowl add the flaxseed and water and let it sit for 2 minutes, then add the diary-free milk and canola oil.
7. Combine the dry and wet ingredients and stir until combined.
8. Spoon the cornbread mixture on top of the filling, and spread evenly.
9. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.