Sometimes a good sugar cookie is all you need. I'm not promoting these as healthy...I'm promoting them as absolutely deliciousness that is okay to indulge in every once in a while. They're worth it, especially for special occasions.
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus little more for rolling
2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
1 cup vegan butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
3 Tbsp water
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Into a medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer or hand mixer, use the paddle attachment on medium speed, beat vegan butter and sugar for about 1½ minutes, or until smooth.
3. Mix the flaxseed and water together, then beat with the butter mixture. Add the vanilla until well combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
4. Turn the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture slowly, and a little at a time. Occasionally stop to scrape the sides of the bowl. Once all the flour has been added, the dough should form a ball around the mixing attachment and feel soft but not sticky.
5. Wrap the dough ball in a piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper and press down to form a 1-inch-thick disk. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes before rolling or store for up to 5 days tightly wrapped.
6. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
7. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about ¼-inch thickness, using additional flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Use cookie cutters to create desired shapes, and carefully transfer with a cookie spatula to a nonstick baking sheet, placing the cookies about ¾ inch apart.